Gov. Henry McMaster says that mask wearing is not up to schools anymore

Haylee Freeman, Staff Writer

Governor Henry McMaster stated on April 28th, that it is “ridiculous” that SC students are forced to wear masks at school. McMaster has proudly refused to issue a statewide mask mandate throughout the coronavirus pandemic. SC parents of students were complaining and pushing against the requirement that their children wear masks at school.

“Those parents are exactly right,” McMaster said, speaking to reporters at a press conference. “If they do not want their children being forced by the government to wear a mask in school, they should not be forced by the government to wear a mask in school against the wishes of the parents,” states Henry McMaster.

McMaster has stated that “It is ridiculous for school districts to tell parents whether or not their child should wear a mask in the classroom, that is up to the parent. Every teacher has had the opportunity to get vaccinated and are safe from the virus. It’s time to unmask our children.” Mask are not required for students to wear. It is solely up to the parent if their child needs to wear a mask as Governor Henry McMaster stated.

The Governor has ordered DHEC and the SC Department of Education to develop an opt-out form for masks. Cherokee County Schools have said that once that form is available, they will distribute them to schools and students.