Goodbye 2020

Goodbye+2020

Mariana Razo, Editor-in-Chief

2020 started well… until March came. I blinked and all of a sudden it went from March to December. Time flew by as the entire world had to quarantine and adjust their lives to a new time.

Just like the rest of the world, I had many plans for 2020. I was going to attend my first concert that I fought so hard to get tickets for. I planned on vacationing in Mexico and spend time with my family there. Despite everything, I tried to accomplish goals that fell under the requirements of being safe during Covid.

Stores shut down, schools closed, and contact was limited. Because our physical communication was completely cut out, people became more involved with social media and their phones. In fact, Covid has changed how much we use our phones as entertainment. According to Emarketer, “46% and 51% of US adults were using social media more since the outbreak began.” Half of US adults is a huge number considering the population is 328.2 million as of 2019.

For me, I turned to Netflix and YouTube for entertainment. I started binge watching shows and catching up on videos from my favorite YouTubers. I spent much time on my phone and less time focusing on anything else. I went from watching one episode a week to finishing a show in a week. I think I speak for many students when I say that having this much time made it harder to focus and make time for schoolwork.

Overall, 2020 became a year that’ll have 8 units in future history books and future kids will be questioning us what it was like to live through this. On top of battling a worldwide pandemic, fighting for social justice and witnessing the most anticipated election in history, it still isn’t over.

Goodbye 2020, you will not be missed.