College Football in South Carolina

AP photo

AP photo

Abby Phillips, Staff Writer

The South Carolina Gamecock football team won their first game of the season this past Saturday against Vanderbilt. The score was 41-7. This comes after the Gamecocks lost their first two games against Tennessee and Florida.

AP photo

One of the key players of the game was sophomore Kevin Harris. Harris ran for a career-high 171 yards, scoring two touchdowns. Head coach Will Muschamp said, “You just get tired of hitting him, and there’s nothing really soft on his body… He’s a guy that wears on people as the games continues to go.” Quarterback Collin Hill had a 10-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter, which started a run by the Gamecocks to score the last 24 points in the game.

The Gamecocks have a difficult schedule ahead of them as they face #15 Auburn this Saturday, October seventeenth. The rest of their schedule includes LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Missouri, Georgia, and Kentucky.

The Clemson Tigers have won all four of their games so far this season against Wake Forest, The Citadel, Virginia, and Miami. This past Saturday against #7 Miami, Clemson won 42-17.

AP photo

Star quarterback Trevor Lawrence completed 29 of 41 passes for 292 yards and three touchdowns. Running back Travis Etienne had a great game with 17 carries for 149 yards and two touchdowns along with eight catches for 73 yards. Manny Diaz, the Miami head coach, stated after the game, “… We’re very disappointed in the way we presented ourselves. I cannot fault our effort, but I thought our discipline, in terms of doing things right, made it very difficult for us to execute against a top-ranked team on the road and we have to own that.”

In the coming weeks, Clemson has to face Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Boston College, Notre Dame, Florida State, Pittsburgh, and Virginia Tech before the ACC Championship in December.