Coronavirus Update in SC

Mariana Razo, Staff Writer

The number of cases have increased rapidly the past week since Governor Henry McMaster announced the closure of all public schools in South Carolina until March 31. On Sunday, there were 39 new official cases reported. As of March 22, there are now 195 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in SC and 3 reported deaths.

The map below shows the counties that have reported to have official cases of COVID-19 as of March 20, 2020.

Photo: S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control

Quick Updates:

• Governor McMaster announced all public colleges and universities to finish the semester online
  • DHEC reported 81 cases on Thursday but the number jumped high on Friday
  • DHEC announced 45 new cases this past Friday across 25 counties, 46 on Saturday, and 22 on Sunday
  • Kershaw is the county with the most cases, totaling to 36.
  • 3 reported deaths were elderly individuals with underlying health conditions
  • A 7 month old has been tested positive for COVID-19 in Kershaw County
  • Nearly a dozen of USC students have tested positive

According to The State, “South Carolina governor Henry McMaster signed into law Thursday a $45 million state aid package to help DHEC with its COVID-19 response.” This comes after testing materials were revealed to be limited. Many places in SC had more than others.

“The time is now for everyone to take this situation seriously and to follow the instructions of national and state officials…Voluntary action and precaution NOW will save the lives of many.” said McMaster.

If you have any general questions about the coronavirus, call the DHEC Care Line at 855-472-3432. The line is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day. Prisma Health and the Medical University of South Carolina are offering free online screening for those without a doctor. According to CDC, estimates reveal that 40% of people who contract the virus are between the ages of 20 and 54.

Refer to the chart above for symptom comparisons of the Cold, Flu, and Coronavirus to be knowledgeable of the differences and a step-by-step instruction on how to properly wash your hands. Symptoms of the COVID-19 are usually present 2-14 days after exposure. Practice proper hygiene and social distancing to prevent the spread. Without the efforts of prevention, the virus will continue to spread.