Robotics State Competition

Christian+Rodriguez+and+Alex+Lamb+working+on+the+robot+during+a+competition+

Emily Martinez

Christian Rodriguez and Alex Lamb working on the robot during a competition

Emily Martinez, Staff Writer

The robotics club gets a new challenge to complete every year. This challenges teams to compete by making robots to accomplish these tasks. There is more to robotics than that.

There are three main parts to robotics, building, programming, and the engineering notebook. Builders design and build the robot to best fit the challenges given. Programmers program the robot by putting the correct power and controls to the game controller. Engineering notebook writes details about our goals and changes we make to the robot. These all work together in order to accomplish a set goal.

There is two parts to program, the controller and the robot. This is due too Autonomous and Driver Control section in competitions. Here’s the difference:

 Autonomous: This is where a robot has a pre-programmed section that will score points once the program is told to run. This is the first challenge teams will complete and it only lasts 30 seconds.

 Driver Control: The driver control period comes right after autonomous and the team members drive the robot to complete the goals they can do. The last 30 seconds of driver controlled is called end game. End-game includes things like parking your robot, this would only get points if done during end-game.

The engineering notebook is another place that teams can score points. A good engineering notebook will be detailed, and include pictures. This should be updated every meeting.

Other things to mention are outreach and sponsorship’s.
Outreach is where your team will reach out to FLL teams, do things in your community, or post to social media.
Sponsorships help with the funding of the game materiel since robotics isn’t heavily funded by the school. This are things that will boost your team and help with scoring points during judging.

The Challenge Video 2021-2022: https://youtu.be/I6lX12idAf8

GHS robotics club will be attending state competition on February 26, 2022. This competition will be held at Drescher High School in Columbia. Go Indians!