Teacher Spotlight: Dr. Wilson

Emily Martinez, Staff Writer

Dr. Wilson is a GHS history teacher. I had the pleasure to interview him and here at GHS we are grateful to have such a teacher!

Q: How long have you been teaching at Gaffney High School?
A: This is my 19th year at GHS 20th overall.
Q: What subject do you teach?
A: Social Studies: U.S. History Honors, AP U.S. History, AP Government & Politics, (Government and Economics Honors previous 15 years)
Q: What made you want to start teaching?
A: I had tried other jobs and even had an Associate’s Degree in a completely different field but nothing seemed to fit. I just wasn’t happy so I soul searched and decided to go back to school and fell in love with education. I knew what I was CALLED to do.
Q: Favorite TV show?
A: Of all-time: M*A*S*H, currently Bluebloods.
Q: Favorite food?
A: Cheeseburgers.
Q: Favorite memory as a teacher?
A: My favorite memory as a teacher would be, having a former student who had already graduated come back to collaborate with another teacher to recommend me for GHS Teacher of the year in 2015-16.
Q: What kind of music do you listen to?
A: I like most all genres expect for most new stuff. There is no telling what I’m listening to from one minute to the next. Jimmy Buffett singing about Boat Drinks and then the next song on my play list is Petey Pablo getting me ready to ride and rise up.
Q: What is your favorite song?
A: Tin Cup Chalice by Jimmy Buffett.
Q: Biggest pet peeve?
A: Stupidity, although I’m not immune to it myself.
Q: What was the last movie you went to? What did you think?
A: Pretty sure it was John Wick 3, It was awesome.
Q: Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
A: Too many to name but my students usually call me Dr. Dub, or Big Dub.
Q: Would you rather trade intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence?
A: I got both, so no need for a trade!
Q: Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?
A: Matthew McConaughey, but it would more than likely be John Goodman.
Q: Craziest thing you’ve done? Do you regret it?
A: I once killed a man just to watch him die. No regerts, not even one letter! For real the craziest thing I have ever done is ripping off lines from copyrighted songs and movies without the slightest worry of being sued, that and getting a portrait tattoo of Jimmy Buffett.
Q: What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever eaten?
A: Salt & Vinegar Crickets. One of the legs was stuck in my throat most of the day and kept making me cough; other than that, not too bad.
Q: When did you lose your hair? (optional)
A: Truth is God said you want brains or hair, so I took brains (ripped that off from Gallagher the comedian) Started losing it in my late 20’s not sure why it just kept getting shiny in one spot toward the back by my early 30’s I decided that bald was better than having a void on the back of my head so I began shaving my head. I tried to grow out last summer but looked like a dog with mange and the wife said no. I have thought about a Skullet.

This was a very fun interview to do. And I definitely got a good laugh out of it. I want to thank Dr. Wilson again for his time to do this!