Benefits of Field Trips

Hannah Nicole Motts, Staff Writer

Field trips are recognized as important moments in learning. Many students are visual learners and a field trip lets them touch and experience hands-on projects and listening. Education and learning should not only be limited to the classroom. According to the New School of Architecture and Design, hands-on learning is not only a single learning style, it can adapt and help students with all learning styles. Field trips have several advantages connected to them and are not just fun picnics. They can be stress reliever and a mood up-lifter. For many students, field trips are a fun-filled activity that alleviated the tension of being in school all week and can offer a positive brain break. Field trips act as a tremendous refreshing activity that breaks the monotony of the classroom students get to explore new things and they get to apply their theoretical knowledge in different places.

Research has shown that field trips can be supportive of different students learning and their learning styles. Students might be good at reciting and remembering things but experiencing what is being taught firsthand can help them make the connection. Small field trips to even the grocery store, library, museum, theater, garden, or restaurants can help students understanding the world. Students are able to access tools and environments that are not available at school. Students should not be sitting all day at school we should be active we should not be forced to sit at a desk all day long we need to be inactive in what we are learning. Students need this vital component of school instruction if not only to improve test grades but to feel, see, touch, and even taste the real world around us and that’s something you can only get from a field trip. Unfortunately because of Covid-19, we can’t go on field trips but I hope in the future we can start going on more education field trips.