The Value of Going to College

The Value of Going to College

Haylee Freeman, Staff Writer

College is a topic that many people have different opinions on. Some believe there is no point in going to college whenever we have jobs already available that can be maintained without a college background, and some feel there is no other option than going to college. The value of going to college is very much important, because it is what allows people to get the job they desire and enjoy, and it teaches them life skills for when they are eventually out on their own one day.

A lot of people can argue either way that college is not something that should be at the top of everyone’s list. Some say that there are other jobs that do not require a degree other than a high school diploma and sometimes not even that. The problem with this is that people are not guaranteed these jobs and they may be stuck doing something for the rest of their work life that they truly do not have a desire to do. Also going to college tends to teach teens/young adults how to survive on their own. They are learning basic life skills for life out on their own when and if that time comes.

It is understandable that some people do not see the big deal with going to college. I understand that some may not have the money, the time, the work ethic, and maybe just the abilities to do so. However, there are so many ways that colleges can help provide education in despite of all of that. For instance, there are scholarships, financial aid, short college programs, and lots more that they offer.

College provides someone with so many more opportunities and availabilities that they otherwise would not have without it. One of the many reasons I think college is very valuable is that it allows people a guarantee that they are going to get a job that they will enjoy. Colleges offer degrees in everything that someone could possibly think of. Going to college allows someone to pick any job they could ever want. It allows them to study, learn it, and eventually do it. Yes, there are other jobs that do not require a college degree of any sort, but does anyone really want to do a job for the rest of their work life that they are going to dread doing?

Work is something everyone experiences at some point or another. That is how everyone gets their money, which in turn, get them their clothes, food, shoes, houses, cars, and honestly their lives. I know for me I want to go to college to become a nurse. There is absolutely no way in any form that I could become a nurse without going to college. That hospital that I want to work for is just simply not going to let me insert an IV into someone else’s arm without the proper training for it. There is no if, ands, or buts about it. Some may say, “Well why not just work in the front office of a hospital and be the receptionist or something that does not require a degree in any field of work?” It is as simple as I do not want to settle for something less than what I want. I want to be a nurse and I am willing to do and will do what it takes to become one. How am I going to feel going into work every day and doing something that I dread? How am I going to feel going to work every single day for the rest of my work life and doing something that I do not enjoy? It is going to be miserable. I am not willing to settle for something less than what I want.

College allows people that opportunity to seek out and find what is enjoyable for them. Whether that’s an engineer, a teacher, a doctor, an officer, a chef, or whatever someone might desire, they get to learn that. They get to go and learn how to do what they love and perfect it. Imagine going to work every day and actually being excited to go. I know for me that I am not going to dread waking up and going to work every day. I am going to look forward to seeing and meeting patients. I am going to enjoy working with them and helping them, because that is what I enjoy doing and that is what I will have went to school to learn to do.

Another reason that college is so beneficial and valuable, is that the student learns skills that simply cannot be learned at home. They learn to get up every morning on their own. They learn time management, such as getting to class on time every day. They learn to even provide meals for themselves out on their own. They learn how to prepare a meal and how to make new things to eat. The student learns how to manage work well. College is hard. There is absolutely no way around that, but that teaches students how to manage classes. They learn to manage all the homework, the studying, the readings, or whatever work they may possibly have. I know for me I struggle getting up in the mornings. I hear that alarm clock and sometimes I simply do not want to get up. However, I know that I have places to be and things to do. I am never tardy to school because I know what I have to do and where I have to be, and I am not willing to accept that tardy. I know that when I attend college though, that I will learn even more so how to do that if I have a class in the morning that I need to be up and ready for. I do not need to just roll out of the bed and go. I need to actually get up and fix my hair, do my makeup, brush my teeth, and whatever else I need to do in order to be ready.

College truly teaches so much on how to be prepared for the “real world” as many like to call it. That job that I will have is not going to allow me arrive ten minutes late every day. They are not going to want me there unready either. Nobody wants someone unprepared and never on time to be working in their professional office. This teaches students to get up and be on time and be ready consistently. Showing up to a professional job without a good work ethic, being late, and not being prepared is going to leave these people without a job. Businesses want a good face for their professional office and they are not going to settle not having it.

Going to college helps build students for the world that awaits them. They truly learn so many valuable traits and it provides them with so many opportunities. They can get that dream job that they have always wanted and they do not have to settle for anything less. I know for me college will benefit me so much and will play a big role in who I become as I grow older. Without college my life would turn out so different. I would be settling for a life I do not want and I would be so unprepared for my future to come. I cannot wait to go and experience all that college will have to offer for me. It will be such a good experience to learn about how to do this life on my own and I will get to have job in something that I have desired and dreamed of my entire life basically. It will truly be a valuable experience.