50/50 Grading Policy

50/50 Grading Policy

Nathan Bradley, Staff Writer

Since COVID has been rough on some students, a new policy has been adopted to change the weighting of assignments and tests to 50/50.  The old grading scale depended on the class, but it was a common knowledge that tests and quizzes were worth significantly more than classwork and homework. The new 50/50 policy effectively makes everything equal.

As we are now about three weeks into the semester, this new policy as already had various effects on students and teachers. Some are raging about how missing one assignment will now be equivalent to completely failing a test with 0% accuracy. Others are rejoicing at the fact that they can turn in all of their assignments and make a 100, and then fail a test but their grade won’t drop as terribly as it normally would in the past.

Some believe that this new policy is ridiculous to a certain extent, because “class work and homework shouldn’t be counted the same as a test or quiz would.” However, we as a student body should keep in mind that the school district did this to help us, not to hurt us. Being on a hybrid schedule, and only physically being in school 2-3 days a week can be tough when sometimes all you have time to do in a classroom is a test. Therefore, with the new policy, as long as we use our time out of school efficiently we should have time to do our homework and turn in in so our grade will stay fairly high.