Homecoming – COVID Edition

Mariana Razo, Editor-in-Chief

This year is drastically different. Everything has been disrupted by COVID-19. From being quarantined for months, to much of our lives being put on pause. Schools have safely reopened, but changes still remain. Homecoming, a GHS tradition, had to be adjusted this year; as one of the biggest events of the school year, many past graduates and current students look forward to Homecoming for the show it puts on each year, along with the Homecoming court and the football game.

Despite being unable to gather in the gym in the traditional Homecoming fashion, Homecoming will go on nonetheless. The Homecoming show will be filmed and posted online at 10am on Friday, October 16th.

As a student that participates in Homecoming behind the scenes, it’s been very different filming when we normally perform in front of an audience. Usually, everyone gathers in the gym and watches performances that highlight each graduating year. Homecoming court is presented, drama performs their scenes, and everyone has a great time. Though, it hasn’t been the same, Homecoming is simply a tradition that we cannot let slip by because of the pandemic.

We’ve had to view many important events through a screen this year, and this is a reality that we will have to adjust to for the meantime. This Homecoming will be different, but as Gaffney Indians, we will celebrate nonetheless.