Teacher Cadet

Tricia Blackwood, Staff Writer

Teacher Cadet is a course program designed to give students an in-depth look into the different foundations of teaching, such as the history, development, organization, and practices of preschool, elementary, and secondary education. In this course, students will not only learn about the different aspects of teaching in a classroom environment, but also visit different places, such as elementary and middle schools in the district, to see the behind-the-scenes of being a teacher. Students also have the opportunity to get involved into your school and community.

This current school year, GHS teacher cadets have visited the Charles Lea Center to visit and converse with the patients there. They also had the amazing opportunity to work in different roles at the special needs prom, Night to Shine, by the Tim Tebow Foundation. Teacher Cadets have had many other awesome opportunities,  such as getting to be on television the morning of Homecoming.

Teacher Cadet is a course that is a dual enrollment course through Limestone College. Therefore, if you apply and are accepted into the program, you will receive college credit hours. At Gaffney High School, you can take Teacher Cadet 101 and 102. If you happen to take both courses, you will have approximately six hours to add to your college transcript.

Taking this course will help students who have ever considered becoming a teacher or a coach. In addition to the college credits, students get plenty of in-classroom practice with students. Even students who do not plan on becoming an educator can still enroll into the Teacher Cadet Program. The real world experiences and the communication skills students can build will help in any profession.

Over the past two weeks, students have been receiving invitations stating that they have met the qualifications for Teacher Cadet. The students who qualified were encouraged to stop by room 2520, Mrs. Ooley’s room, to get their application. Students who qualified must complete their application and have it turned in by Friday, February 21, 2020.  If you received the qualification sheet and are hesitant about applying, please go see Mrs. Ooley. You will not regret applying for this course.