Teens and Sleep Deprivation

Teens and Sleep Deprivation

Makayla Horton, Features Co-Editor

Many people say that us teens don’t need much sleep, however, that’s false! Teenagers need at least eight to ten hours of sleep each night. This is because our brains are going through a second stage of development of cognitive maturation. Enough sleep benefits the development of the brain and physical growth spurts.

Naturally, as teens go through puberty (yuck!) there is a biological shift in your internal clock, meaning if you normally would fall asleep at 9:00 pm you wouldn’t feel tired until about 11:00 pm, which is about a two-hour difference.

Early start times for school also affect the amount of sleep you get. Most schools start at 8:00 am, which means students who ride the bus to school may have to get up as early as 5:00 am. Factors such as after-school activities, clubs, after school jobs, homework, and being socially involved leads to later bedtimes

Phone screens, tv’s, and tablets all have one thing in common: blue light. The blue light emitted from the devices make it harder on your body to produce melatonin, the hormone that brings your body to a resting state. The more you use these devices before bedtime the harder it is to fall asleep.

These factors lead to teens being sleep deprived, and leads to several consequences, including: drowsy driving; lack of motivation; depression; anxiety; increased likelihood of using drugs, drinking, or smoking tobacco; memory loss; behavioral issues; more absences and tardies in classes; lower grades; and frequent mood swings. It’s important to go to bed on time and make sure to make time for you to get a good night’s rest at least twice a week to keep yourself physically and mentally alert.