Junior Ambassador White Christmas

Photo by Robbie Duncan

Abby Phillips, Staff Writer

If you are a student at Gaffney High School, you have probably heard of the Junior Ambassadors organization. They are a community service club that is sponsored by the Cherokee County of Commerce and is open to all students grade nine through twelve.

Every year around Christmas time, the organization chooses one family from a local elementary school to provide a “White Christmas” to. This year, the family they chose is from Corinth Elementary. The service club will raise money to help provide this family with Christmas presents, something they are probably very unfamiliar with, along with certain things the family might be in need of.

Photo by Robbie Duncan

You might be wondering, how does one club raise enough money for all of this? Junior Ambassadors raise this money by throwing a Breakfast with Santa. This year it was held on December 7th. Club members sell tickets to this breakfast to people throughout the community. At the breakfast, a meal including pancakes, sausage, fruit, juice, and coffee was served, and desirable gift baskets were raffled off. There were also many activities for children, including writing letters to Santa, making reindeer food, coloring, and more, along with a photo-op with Santa and Mrs. Claus.

The organization will take the money that they raised this past Saturday to buy the gifts for the family. Students in the club take these gifts and deliver them personally to the family in need.

George Duncan, the advisor of the community service club, says, “We have too many children in this county that have to go without during this time of year, and our main goal is to bring a smile to their face on Christmas morning.” It is very admirable of these students, and the adults that assist them, that they are giving back to their community during such a busy time like the holidays.

Photo by Robbie Duncan