Football Season Wrap-Up

Joseph Bender, Sports Editor

Last weekend, the regular season concluded for both the Carolina Gamecocks and Clemson Tigers, while the Indians’ playoff run came to an end in the upper state championship against the Dorman Cavaliers. The Gamecocks finished 4-8 on the season, while the Tigers finished 12-0, and the Indians finished 10-4, falling just one game short of the 5-A State Championship.

The Indians finished 10-4 on the season, having regular season losses to Mallard Creek, Byrnes, and Dorman. Memorable victories this season include playoff games against Rock Hill, Sumter, and Byrnes. In the upper state championship game at Dorman on November 29th, the Indians were unable to stop the Cavaliers, which ended Gaffney’s playoff run for this season.
The High Point: 34-20 win @ Byrnes
While falling to Byrnes in the regular season, the Gaffney Indians would then finally beat their rival 34-20 away.
The Low Point: 30-6 loss @ Dorman
After cruising through the playoffs, this was the game the Indians had to win the reach the state championship. Win, and your in. The Indians weren’t able to do almost anything offensively against the Cavs and it cost them the game.

The Gamecocks finished 4-8 this season, a record the Gamecocks have only had 6 times before. It was a very long season for South Carolina, facing  the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, and Clemson, all in one season. The Gamecocks went 1-4 in those 5 games, resulting in the 4-8 record. True freshman quarterback Ryan Hilinski had to take over for starting quarterback Jake Bentley, who went down with a foot injury in the 20-24 loss to North Carolina. The schedule wont get any easier next season, again having games against Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, Clemson, and then at LSU in November.
The High Point: 20-17 OT win against Georgia
The Low Point: Last 3 Games (vs Appalachian State, Texas A&M, and Clemson.)
The Gamecocks offense struggled in the last 3 games of the season, only having one touchdown throughout those 3 games, and that one coming in the final moments of a home battle against Appalachian State.
The Gamecocks would fall to Appalachian State 20-15, Texas A&M 30-6, and the Tigers 38-3.

The Tigers had yet another undefeated season, capping off the year at South Carolina, winning soundly 38-3, and will play the 9-3 Virginia Cavaliers in the ACC Championship. The Cavs are fresh off beating Virginia Tech for the first time in 15 years, and the Tigers are off their 6th straight win against the Gamecocks. The Tigers finished almost perfect, having a rough start in the first few games, then coming back and remaining dominant throughout the rest of the season. Notable wins for the Tigers this season include a 24-10 win over Texas A&M, and a 52-3 win against unranked Wake Forest.
The Tigers are favored 28.5 points against the Cavaliers, the highest spread of any other championship game for this Saturday.
The High Point: The Finish.
After a close call against UNC, the Tigers began to show us who we knew they were. After that point the Tigers won all of their games in blowout fashion, being dominant on all sides of the ball and continued to show all season they are the most elite team in College Football.
The Low Point: 21-20 win over North Carolina
The Tigers barely survived against the 2-2 Tarheels, as the Tarheels scored a last minute touchdown, and instead of kicking the extra point to tie the game up, the Tarheels decided to go for 2 for the win. The 2 point attempt failed, and Clemson won. While this is the low point for the season, its also the turning point where the Tigers started to show their dominance.

The Tigers still have the postseason left for the season, while the Indians and Gamecocks’ seasons are done.