Gaffney vs Rock Hill Game Preview

Picture by Makayla Horton

Joseph Bender, Sports Editor

Round one of the Region playoffs begins tonight, as the Gaffney Indians will travel to Rock Hill, SC to play the Rock Hill Bearcats.
Both the Indians and Bearcats are 7-3, and will look to move on to round 2 of the playoffs with a win tonight.
The Indians are ranked #7 in the state, while the Bearcats are ranked #13. The Indians lead in rushing yards, passing yards, sacks, tackles, and points.
Kelvin Kirby leads in rushing yards per game, with 60.5 yards. Quarterback Undre Lindsay leads in passing yards, with 216 yards, and total yards with 238 yards per game. On the flip side, Ashton Peterson leads in rushing yards per game for the Bearcats, with 64 yards, while Quarterback Jackson Robertson leads in passing yards with 115 yards, and total yards with 136 yards per game.
The Bearcats lost their first two games against Sumter and South Point, and lost mid-season to Clover. The Indians have lost to Mallard Creek early in the season, then lost to both Byrnes and Dorman, closing out the season with 3 blowout wins, against Riverside, winning 57-7, beating Boiling Springs 56-13, then beating Spartanburg 63-14 to close out the regular season.
The last time the Bearcats and Indians played each other in the regular season was in September of 2017, when the Indians beat the Bearcats 44-14, at home. Quarterback Tyshun Sarratt had 352 yards and 3 touchdowns to lead the Indians to the victory.
With a win over the Rock Hill Bearcats tonight, the Indians will move on to round 2 of the playoffs, and will likely travel to Sumter, SC to play Sumter High School.
Tonight the Gaffney Indians and Rock Hill Bearcats will battle in the 1st round of the High School playoffs, to move on to the next round of the playoffs, and get even closer to the State Championship in Columbia, South Carolina.