Last Weekend in Sports

Photo by AJ Black of SI.com

Joseph Bender, Sports Editor

Last weekend, the Clemson Tigers, South Carolina Gamecocks, and Gaffney Indians were all active, playing divisional/regional games. The Tigers played divisional foe Boston College, the Gamecocks played rival Tennessee, and the Indians played region opponent Boiling Springs.

Friday, Senior night for the Indians, was also the last home game of the season. The Indians played against the 4-4 Boiling Springs Bulldogs. The Indians had a fast start, scoring 49 points on the Bulldogs in the first half. Then, in the 3rd quarter scored 7, with backup players in. The final score from the Reservation, was 56-13 in favor of the Indians, the largest margin of victory ever against Boiling Springs.

On Saturday, it was homecoming for the 8-0 Clemson Tigers, who were coming off of a big win over Louisville on the road. The Tigers faced the 4-3 Boston College Eagles, at night in Death Valley. The Tigers started off fast, outscoring the Eagles 38-7 in the first half, then 21-0 in the second half, with second string players in. Clemson’s offense and defense were both at 100% Saturday. Sophomore Trevor Lawrence had 275 yards, and 3 touchdowns, Travis Etienne having 109 yards, and 3 touchdowns that led the Tigers to the victory over BC.

The Gamecocks had a huge road game on Saturday, playing the 2-5 Tennessee Volunteers, who were coming off of a close game vs the Alabama Crimson Tide. This game was a must win for the Gamecocks to be able to get to a bowl game easily. At halftime, it was 21-17 Gamecocks, in a close battle at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. In the second half, the Gamecocks scored 0 points, and allowed 24 points to a Volunteer team that was without its starting quarterback. The final from Neyland was 41-21, Tennessee. This was a huge blow for the Gamecocks, and made the path to a bowl game a lot tougher. The Volunteers get their first win over Will Muschamp ever, and the first time in 3 years the Volunteers have beaten the Gamecocks.

This week, the Indians will play their last game of the season against the Spartanburg Vikings at the new Spartanburg High School stadium. The Tigers face the Wofford Terriers, and Gamecocks play the Vanderbilt Commodores.