Los Angeles: Tick Fire Update

Photo by Josh Edelson/AFP via Getty Images.

Leah Bowen, Student Life Editor

The current condition of Los Angeles is a hard sight to see. Roughly 50,000 citizens in northern Los Angeles County were ordered to evacuate due to the wildfires burning in the vicinity of neighborhoods in the Los Angeles area. At around 2 p.m., the Tick Fire broke out and as a result of the strong winds and dry brush, the fire rapidly spread at least 3,700 acres.

Residents near were required to evacuate quickly, as the Los Angeles County Fire Department worked to try and contain the blaze. Fire officials reported that since the Tick Fire is moving so rapidly, it has been difficult to contain, but all efforts are being used to reduce to spread of the fire. Sean Rios, a spokesman for the L.A. County Fire Department, said, “The wind is a major factor. All ground and aerial resources are being utilized to the best of their capabilities, but we’re going to be here for a while.” He also assured citizens of their efforts by telling the public, “We’re doing everything possible to reduce the spread.”

Since the wind is intense, the land is dry, and the fire is so large, it is extremely difficult to settle the flames and put the fires out. With residents evacuating, the Red Cross set up an evacuation center, located at the College of Canyons in Valencia, where people may go and take shelter at a location safe from the fires. People who own livestock and cattle were directed to go and take shelter at Pierce College in Woodland Hills.

Unsure of the exact cause of the fire, the Pacific Gas and Electric Co said that it was too soon to be truly know whether faulty equipment was the cause. The Pacific Gas and Electric Co. is California’s largest utility, and the utility told state regulators of California that on Wednesday, October 23rd, the utility learned of a transmission level outage in the Geysers, which is the world’s largest geothermal field. Minutes later in the same area, the wildfire was reported. No matter the cause, it is all hands on deck in California with the attempt to keep the flames under control and to put them out for good.