Life with Leah

Facebook “Facts”

Leah Bowen, Student Life Editor

With the new age of technology and social networking, there also comes a new age of ignorance. Specifically speaking, on Facebook there are options where you can share articles galore at your convenience.

This means you can share old and outdated articles all you want. This also means anyone can share whatever false information and articles they’d please at whatever capacity.

Scrolling through my Facebook, I can confidently say that it is impossible to scroll without finding at least one false article or article that is outdated. In the comment sections of these posts, you can almost always find an argument of some sort. These aren’t friendly debates either, or civil disagreements; they’re rough and tough. They typically involve name calling, threatening and demeaning lingo, and even more false information being spread. They usually just involve reiterating the same things over and over again until somebody gets blocked or removed.

These arguments don’t strictly just happen between Facebook friends though. These arguments occur between random strangers who feel like voicing their strong opinions online, usually backed with little to no facts.

Now, I’m not saying you shouldn’t share your opinion and keep quiet, but I do strongly believe in actually having facts and information to back your claim up. People should also treat others with respect when having the debate and be sure to fact check their sources before saying anything.

Sharing things blindly without fact checking is never a good idea, and people should definitely invest at least a small portion of time fact checking things.  Thankfully though, Facebook actually introduced fact-checking alerts for fake news. It pops up under some articles and has a little information section that tells if it is actually true or not. Will this stop everyone from sharing these articles and believing them? Definitely not, but it is an amazing feature for those who actually want the truth and want to fact check things for accuracy.