Gaffney vs. Mauldin Game Preview

Joseph Bender, Sports Editor

The Indians look to bounce back this week against Mauldin.

After falling to the top high school football team in North Carolina, Mallard Creek 20-27, the Indians are looking to bounce back in their first away game of the season as they travel to Mauldin High School to face the Mavericks. The Mauldin Mavericks are 2-1 on the season, having wins against both Greer and Mann, and losing to their opener to Hillcrest. Both teams are looking to get their 3rd win of the season, and Mauldin will look to take advantage of home field, and will try to stun the Indians.

This game is the Indians’ first conference game of the season, as they will try to start off conference play 1-0, which will be very important as the Indians will be facing Byrnes next week.

The Indians have had a total of 946 yards this season, from games against Greenwood, Union County, and Mallard Creek, while the Mauldin Mavericks have had 340 total yards. The Indians Offense has been on fire the past three games, and will look to continue the offensive fire power next week against the Mavericks.

Against the Mavericks, the Indians will have to be careful when passing, as Mauldin has had 4 interceptions in the past three games. Both the Gaffney and Mavericks defenses have shown great numbers, have had many 3rd down stops, and many interceptions. Quarterback Undre Lindsay has had 507 yards this season, with 6 touchdowns and zero interceptions. The key to the game will be to play until the end, and try and have the edge every quarter.

Against Mallard Creek last week, the Indians were up 13-6, but then gave up 21 points in the 3rd quarter which led to Mallard Creek winning the game.
The Indians will face the Mauldin Mavericks tonight at 7:30pm at Mauldin High School, in their first conference game of the season.