Last Weekend in Sports

Joseph Bender, Sports Editor

Football is officially back. After months of waiting, anticipating, and expectations rising, it’s time to take a look at what happened in high school and college football over the weekend of August 29-31.

Gaffney Football:
The Gaffney Indians football team returned to action this weekend facing off against Greenwood at home. In this game, almost everything went right for Gaffney. Gaffney QB Lindsay passed for 110 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Gaffney defense intercepted Greenwood twice, once by Ellis, with 30 yards, and another by McDowell with 8 yards. Ellis, Littlejohn, Kirby, Smith, and Johnson all scored touchdowns.

Final Score from the Reservation, Indians 41, Greenwood 6.

Clemson Football:
On Thursday, in the season opener at home, the No. 1 ranked Tigers took on the unranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The Tigers looked good at almost every position. Georgia Tech put up a good fight in the 1st quarter, but by the beginning of the 2nd quarter it was all Tigers.

Trevor Lawrence passed for 168 yards, 1 touchdown, and 2 interceptions while rushing for another touchdown. Travis Etienne had 205 rushing yards, including three touchdowns. Clemson had 25 first downs, 2 turnovers, and 632 total yards.
Final Score: Tigers pounced Georgia Tech, 49-21, and look ahead to the Texas A&M Aggies heading into town this week.

South Carolina Football:
What cant we say about Saturday´s collapse versus the Tar Heels? In the first half, it looked like a fair fight with the Gamecocks ahead; that was until in the 2nd half, when the Gamecocks collapsed.

Senior QB Jake Bentley had 142 passing yards, Clemson transfer Tavien Feaster had 72 rushing yards, and Shi Smith had 55 receiving yards. The Gamecocks had 15 total first downs, and were 3-13 on 3rd downs. In Will Muschamp’s 4th year, the Gamecocks look exactly like they did in his first season.

The Gamecocks were given several chances by Mack Brown, but could not capitalize. With eleven seconds remaining in the game, with an opportunity to win the game, Jake Bentley throws an easy interception, to seal the game for the Heels.

After the game, fans divided. Most called for athletic director Ray Tanner to fire Head Coach Will Muschamp, while others urged Muschamp to bench Senior QB Jake Bentley.

On Sunday afternoon, news broke that True Freshman Ryan Hilinski would start vs Charleston Southern, and likely for the rest of the season after Jake Bentley suffered a foot injury during the game.

There is a lot of uncertainty in Columbia, as questions for almost every position remain. We will find out out this Saturday what the Gamecocks can do with Ryan Hilinski, as the No. 2 Crimson Tide await the Gamecocks in week 3.

Final Score: Gamecocks 20, Tar Heels 24

The Week Ahead: 

The Indians, Tigers, and Gamecocks all face important games this weekend. The Indians will take on Union County, while the Gamecocks play Charleston Southern in Ryan Hilinski´s first career start, and the Tigers face on the 12th ranked Aggies at home.