The Indian Post

Homecoming Queen to be Crowned September 28

Court will be presented at Homecoming festivities

Haleigh Godfrey, Staff Writer

Homecoming is an accolade many of the senior girls at Gaffney compete for each year. Each year the senior class nominates five girls onto the homecoming court. This year, the girls encompass a vast variety of backgrounds and walks of life. All want the crown, but only one will hold the title of Gaffney High School Homecoming Queen 2018. The girls this year are Latoya La’Shea Jefferies, Allyssia Lee Nix, Tyonna Lynette Tate, Summer Lauren Waters, and Peyton Elise Yenchik.

Latoya Jefferies

Tyonna Tate

Summer Waters

Alyssia Nix

Peyton Yenchik

Latoya La’Shea Jefferies is the daughter of Trena Manning and Laymon Manning. Jefferies is the granddaughter of Patrica Harris and Converse Harris, Sr. Miss Jefferies is a member of the track and field team, as well as the basketball team. When asked “if anyone in the world could escort you for homecoming, who would it be and why,” Jefferies said, “I would have my daddy to walk me. He means the world to me and I would love for him to share the experience with me.” After graduation, Jefferies plans to attend a four year college or university in South Carolina to major in psychology, then go on to become a family counselor or work with younger children.

Alyssia Lee Nix is the daughter of Stacey Moore and Bobby Nix. Miss Nix enjoys kickboxing and planning activities for girls looking to become the women God wants them to be. Nix loves “the vibes our students give off under the Friday night lights.” She comments that the student body comes together for the four quarters and hopes for a win for our hometown. After graduation, Alyssia plans to go to a college close to home to pave the way for occupational therapy.

Tyonna Lynette Tate is the daughter of Lashanda Tate and Michael Tate. She is the granddaughter of Shirley Gilmore, Lynette Parker, and Derwin Parker, and is a member of the varsity cheerleading team. Tate thinks the best thing about homecoming is “Our school spirit. I love the assembly the school prepares. That night when the campus is full of excitement and pride for our school and football team. I always realize how great it is to be an Indian!” She plans on pursuing a degree in the medical field after graduation.

Summer Lauren Waters is the daughter of Crystal Waters and Stephen Waters. She is the granddaughter of the late Joe Waters, Margie Waters, John Wilkerson, and Carlotta Wilkerson. Waters is a member of the Sub Deb Club and works at Chick-fil-A. If Summer could spend an afternoon doing whatever she pleased, she would go to Guatemala to see her best friends and play soccer with them. Miss Waters plans to attend Wofford College to major in Biology and minor in Spanish after graduating.

Peyton Elise Yenchik is the daughter of Scott and Elizabeth Yenchik. She is the granddaughter of Ben and Laura Steagall, Roger and Linda Mayfield, and Richard and Loretta Yenchik. Yenchik is a member of the varsity softball team and a member of Teacher Cadet, Sub Deb, and Cherokee County Junior Ambassadors. To Yenchik, winning homecoming queen would be an honor because “it reflects how the student body sees me and my personality. It also reflects how I treat my class mates. It is a reflection of Indian pride in and out of school.” After high school, Peyton plants to attend Lander University to continue her softball career and major in elementary education.

Congratulations to the girls selected for the homecoming court. Good luck!

• Homecoming Queen to be Crowned September 28

News

The Trip That Started Out as a Whirlwind

News

GHS Students Take Washington, D.C. by Storm

News

AP Sciences Philadelphia Trip | Photos & Videos

News

Captain Marvel Soars to the Highest Heights of the Marvel Universe

News

Miss Cherokeean Pageant 2019

News

Remembering 41

• Homecoming 2018

Homecoming Game Photos

• Homecoming 2018

Homecoming Assembly Photos

Homecoming 2018

Homecoming Assembly Entertainment

Homecoming 2018

Alyssia Nix, Homecoming Queen for class of 2019

The student news site of Gaffney High School