Sub Deb 2017

Kayleigh Harrill, Staff Writer

Arabian Nights. It was a night where no girl felt short of beautiful, and where no guy could be happier than to see his girl dressed up and a smidgen bit taller than they typically should be. It was a night where everyone’s week of school and stress could be completely thrown away and forgotten.

Sub Deb is a community service organization that hosts a harvest ball each November. The club invites friends, family and many other peers from school to the ball. Each girl has an escort and is presented as a member of the club.

The girls of the Sub Deb Club of Gaffney held their annual ball Saturday, November 4th. They were each presented with their escorts: sophomores first, and then juniors, seniors, and officers. Cheers from friends in the crowd filled the air as the names were announced. The seniors had a father-daughter dance, since it was the last time they were presented. Then, the underclassmen girls danced with their escorts to the song “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran.  For everyone in attendance, the remainder of the night was spent flashing cameras and dancing until someone dropped.

When asked about how she felt about her first ball as a debutante, sophomore member Payton Greene states, “My first Sub Deb Ball was a fun and exciting day. I was surrounded by a great group of young ladies that are kind, supportive, and encouraging to one another. We laughed, danced, and just truly enjoyed each other’s company. We had a wonderful time together. I want to thank everyone that came out that evening to share this with us, and I hope they also had a great time. I feel blessed to be a part of Sub Deb, and I am looking forward to next year’s ball.”

Vice President and junior member of the club Mary Copeland Morgan tells us, “Sub Deb means a lot to me. I have had a lot of fun so far, and I am looking forward to being in the club another year.” She is excited to take on the President title next year as a senior. Also, when asked about what being in Sub Deb means to her, junior member Haleigh Jessica Godfrey tells us that, “Sub Deb makes me feel like I can help someone. Our upcoming project ‘Christmas is for Kids’ shows each of us girls how fortunate we are to be in a program like this. The club teaches me how to have a servant’s heart like Jesus does.”

The annual ball this year was certainly not one to forget, and the Sub Deb girls wish that everyone enjoyed it just as much as they did.