Getting To Know Our New Teacher: Mr. Little

Mr. Little is a new teacher here at GHS. This is his first year in education, after working in a forensic lab. He is an alumnus of Gaffney High School, class of 2018 and graduate of Clemson University, class of 2022. He then began his career in forensics’.  

When he was working in forensics,’ Mr. Little describes it as “completing the same tasks every day.”  Mr. Little wanted to not only “try something different every day” but help other people. This is why he chose to teach “you have the chance to grow in knowledge and have an impact on another person’s life.” When a person makes the decision to be impactful, everything changes.  

One of his biggest values in life is courage. “One of the biggest challenges for me when I was young was taking risks” and that is why he tries to regularly step out of his comfort zone. He “wanted to remain comfortable with his routines from day to day and not make himself stand out.” Today he wishes to use his courage to become a better, wiser person who can be an impactful individual to the students he encounters daily, on school campus or on the basketball court. Mr. Little loves to play basketball. As much as he loves to play the game, he loves coaching young athletes, which often takes an overabundance of courage and patience. Through his professional career and his desire to coach basketball, he is making the world a better place one child at a time. His courage as a teacher and coach impacts young students and athletes toward a path of varied success.  

He also values being open to change. This is especially important since even though he has ideas on what could help students learn, talking to other teachers about their teaching strategies and asking my students about what helps them learn the best. This also translates to one of his personal goals, which is to travel to the 50 states. 

His educational goals are to figure out which teaching strategies fit his desire to be impactful, courageous, and encourage change among young minds. His desire is to determine which teachings strategies are the most successful so students will enjoy chemistry as much as he does. As a teaching professional, it is impossible to stay back from the spotlight, but requires the teacher to be the guide in an often-confusing content area. He mentioned that he also wants to get better at presentation skills. “Much of my life I would describe myself as an introvert so my presentation skills lacked throughout college, but as a teacher I can tell that my presentation skills are improving each day.” When students witness their teacher practicing improving themselves, they too understand the value of goal setting and growth.