Metal Detectors

Metal+Detectors

Za'Riah Smith, Staff Writer

In my opinion I feel as if the Metal detectors are smart but then again not smart because people must wait in line to get checked and they must take their computer and their binder out of their bags. We also have to take our keys and other metal things out of our book bag. I also feel as if it is taking too much time, like if a student gets to school at 7:55 and must be at the bus stop to get on the bus for I2 at 8 when the bus leaves can get left by the bus and be stuck in ISS. The purpose of them is to keep us all safe due to all the times people have called the school or posted on social media saying that they were going to do this and that to the school and are also bring vapes and other things such as drugs and things that should not be brought to school. Once everyone figures out a way to get stuff in the school, I feel like there is going to be no point in having them up. For the kids who have I2 throughout the day I feel like they can easily bring something back from the Institute of Innovation which is I2 but they can bring something back from there and do something to the school. Also, they can detect vapes but if students have the little pencil pouch in their binder, they can slip a vape in the pouch when they take it out of their book bag and once, they get through the metal detector they can take it out and hide it wherever they normally hide it at. I feel as if they should just take them down or have enough police officers around the school just in case something happens. Some people do not care for them and do not like to talk about them, on the other hand some people love and like them. I feel as if they should just take them down because there are still students walking around the school with vapes on them still because they hide them in everything they have. If the detector goes off, they can automatically search you, I feel as if they should not be able to search you without your parents’ permission. I feel like we are going to have to wear uniforms, or we are either going to have to have clear bookbags.