Drone Racing!!

Drone+Racing%21%21

Za'Riah Smith, Staff Writer

Drone racing at Gaffney High School has become a popular activity to race drones. The sign up for the race will be held during lunch in the commons area. The cost to sign up is $1, and the school will provide the drones for the race. Dr. Blanton states that all students will need to eat in the cafeteria or outside, this creates an open space to have activities to take place in the commons area. The first activity we had this year was the corn hole tournament. This time we are doing drone racing in which students will fly the drones on a course and race against their competitors in time to see who wins and moves on. Dr. Blanton has bought the drones so that they are fair for all students. The only money out of pocket is the $1 entry fee which will be donated to a local charity. Drones are a pathway for careers for this generation. He thought that by giving exposure in a fun way it might gain the interest of some students and might even convince students to join robotics. We will also play games in the future which will be dodgeball, ping pong, and pickle ball. Dodgeball is a game where there are two teams that are throwing balls back a fourth at each other to get their opponent out. Some rules of the game are players have to put the ball on the ground, players are not permitted to kick or step on the ball, players cannot lift or support their team-mates in catching, throwing, or anything else in the game. Eliminated players must not interfere with or touch any balls while “out”. Ping-Pong is a ball game similar in principle to lawn tennis and played on a flat table divided into two equal courts by a net fixed across its width at the middle. Another name for ping-pong is table tennis or trademark. Ping pong is the correct Mandarin Chinese name for the sport. Pickleball is a combination of the elements tennis, badminton and ping-pong. It can be played either inside or outside on a court that is a quarter the size of a tennis court. The players use paddles that are a little bit bigger then ping-pong paddles. They hit plastic balls with holes in them. Stay tuned for the oncoming games and activities!