Fake Threats

Fake+Threats

Kaylee Reid, Managing Editor

Students at Gaffney high school need to start thinking more about the consequences of false bomb treats and fake news of students bringing guns to school! Why is this so important? Many might ask why does this keep happening? Multiple times here at Gaffney HIgh School we have had many fake threats. Just recently we had a shooting threat from a girl who wrote it on a bathroom wall. We also had a bomb threat that someone had posted online. A lot of these threats come from people posting them online, to get the attention. We also need to put more thought into the fact that this is also happening around the world everywhere each day. The real threats get talked about and shown on the news because it is very serious and sad. With that being said nobody truly knows how many fake threats there are throughout the world. Students have been manipulating students to not come to school because of this matter and that is interfering with students attendance. Students do not come to school because they are worried and scared. Most students who make these threats are not aware of the consequences that will be followed, with that being said the consequences could be expulsion and even jail time. Making threats can get you thrown in jail for 15 years, maybe even more. You could also have to pay $10,000 in fines. Not only does that interfere with the students around the world, it interferes with the police department as well. Officers are taking time out of their day to come to the school to stand ground for hours. Police officers could be out patrolling the roads trying to find the actual bad guys and not kids who are sending fake threats. Sometimes they search either students or their vehicles if they have suspicion; for objects such as weapons, guns, and unthinkable items. These items could be used to harm teachers and students. Threats, especially to schools, are unacceptable for students to speak about inside and outside of school. As a student of Gaffney High school I myself have heard multiple people make jokes about wanting to blow up the school or shoot it up. Students need to realize that it’s not okay to proceed with this and it is not okay to keep spreading fake news about this. I have to say as a Gaffney student, and having to live through this, we need to do better. Parents are even talking about how ridiculous the threats are. It doesn’t just come in between student lives, it comes in between parents’ lives and jobs. Parents are going to want to stay home and make sure their kids our safe. If their children still go to school then parents are going to be stressed and worried all day long. Mothers and fathers are dropping their kids off at school having to think about what could possibly happen to their children while they are at work all day. What’s even worse is teachers who are parents. They have to make sure their kids are safe as well as their students. A lot of teachers really care about their students and while they are working, part of their job is to keep students safe. So teachers are stressing about their own kids, stressed about the students they have to protect, and stressed about their safety. It is unnecessary stress when it is just fake. In conclusion kids and teens around the world need to realize the consequences of their actions. Stop spreading fake news and stop making fake threats. It is not a joking matter, it is serious. Almost every week there is a shooting or a bombing. A lot of people lose their lives and their families because of these real life situations.