GHS to ATL

Madison Galloway, staff writer

Atlanta, Georgia is home of the Center for Disease Control, the largest aquarium in the United States, the Centennial Olympic Park, the World of Coke, and Martin Luther King Jr’s birth home. For the past four years, our very own Medical Micro classes, taught by Farrah Bauman have made the trip to Atlanta to see in-class lessons unfold in real-life situations. The past two years, our AP Environmental classes, taught by Windy Tindall, have had the privilege to experience the eye-opening trip, as well.  Along with Bauman and Tindall, a variety of students who were able to take part in this scholastic opportunity shared their most memorable pieces of the field trip.

Bauman said that she started this field trip four years ago, and she said “Every year, my favorite part is watching my kids experience it all on the trip.” Bauman said, “seeing things we have talked about in class in the CDC museum is probably the most beneficial for my students. The aquarium seems to be most memorable most years.” Not only do the Medical Micro students get to go on a vacation with their classmates, but they also get to see what they have learned in actual scenarios. Bauman said, “This is the most fun I have with my kids every year. I feel like I get to know them better, and I love sharing this experience with them.” Through this experience, Bauman has the ability to learn more about her students than she could ever learn in a classroom environment.

“Micro ROCKS!” – Bauman

Along with Bauman, Tindall has been taking this trip to Atlanta for four years, but the past two years, Tindall has had the opportunity of taking her own AP Environmental Students. When asked if she thought that the APES students would be included in the trip for years to come, Tindall said, “Yes, much of the trip centers around the subject matter included in Environmental Science- from symbiosis, to preservation of estuaries, to decreasing the loss of  biodiversity.” Tindall’s favorite part of the trip every year is “going behind the scenes at the Georgia Aquarium and seeing how they care for the animals and try to preserve the species.”  To Tindall, the most beneficial aspect of the trip for students is, “seeing some of the topics in class in real-world situations gives the students a way to relate their experiences to their education. When they see an actual iron lung, or stand 5 feet away from a 2o ft. whale shark, they will never forget their experiences.” Overall, Tindall said, “The trip is one of the most stressful and tiring, but most rewarding experiences. The students make memories that will last a lifetime!”

“MLK Center was moving, the CDC was informative, the Aquarium was awe-inspiring, and the World of Coke was refreshing.” – Tindall

Brianna Vassey is a junior at Gaffney High, and she is in Bauman’s Medical Micro class. Vassey said, “This was my first time going on this trip, and I had loads of fun the entire time. If I had the chance to go on this trip again, I would definitely go back.” When asked what her most favorite part of the trip was, Vassey said, “My favorite part of the entire trip was seeing all of the marine life at the aquarium.”  Vassey encouraged, “Any students who have the opportunity to go on this trip next year or years in the future should definitely go because it is a great experience.”

“I would go back every year if I could!”- Brianna Vassey

Sydney Allen, a senior at GHS, takes Medical Micro and was able to participate in this trip, too. She said, “This was my first time on this trip, and I had a great time. I made many memories with great friends.” Allen shared, “My favorite part of the trip was the aquarium behind the scenes.” When asked about her overall experience, Allen said, “This trip was an awesome time exploring downtown and making memories with friends that I’ll never forget.”

Hunter House is a senior at GHS, and he is currently taking AP Environmental Science. This was House’s first time going on the field trip, and when asked if he would go again he said, “Yes, I would love to go back and spend more time at all of the places we visited.” House said, “The most memorable part of the trip had to be the Georgia Aquarium.” Encouraging rising 11th and 12th graders at Gaffney High, House said, “Yes, go!  I had so much fun.” To anyone who is considering this trip, House said, “Don’t let anyone else’s opinion of the trip make you determine if you should go. Go and create your own opinion.”

“It is a trip you will never forget.” -Hunter House

Haley Sherbert is a senior at GHS and an APES student. Sherbert said, “This was not my first time going on this field trip; this time was better because we had much more time at each place we visited.”  When asked about a memory from the trip, Sherbert said, “The escape room was the most memorable part about the trip.” Sherbert says that she encourages anyone who has the opportunity to go on this field trip in the future. Sherbert shared, “It was really fun, and I wish I could go again.”

“One word that describes the trip is ‘lit.'” -Haley Sherbert

Andrew Miller, a senior at GHS, who is currently taking APES, went on the field trip, as well. Miller said, “I went on the trip with Micro last year and APES this year.” Miller shared, “this year’s trip was better because of the escape room.” When asked what his favorite part of the trip was, Miller said, “Riding the Sky View Ferris Wheel and looking over downtown Atlanta at night was the most memorable part of the trip.” Miller said, “The Atlanta trip is a great opportunity to apply what we learn in class to the real world.”

“One word that describes the trip is ‘turnt’!” – Andrew Miller

This one field trip shows the importance behind field trips in high school. Over one hundred students from Gaffney High were able to have an out-of-the-classroom learning experience that they will never forget, and Gaffney High is so grateful to have teachers like Bauman and Tindall who lead students into the real-world  through field trips.